Monday, December 13, 2010

Time To Face It

So we have all heard this before, the impending doom of graduation. Besides the fact it is a time of great happiness to FINALLY be able to leave and be done with everything, there is also that empty feeling that settles in your stomach. Why does that happen?
Well the reason why it happens is due to the fact that you have no idea what is going to happen. The first time in your life, you are not planning around school and the great openness is something to love and hate.
It certainly does not help that at the time of your graduation that the unemployment is at a very high rate. The Chicago Tribune blog post, “Unemployment for college graduates and people over 45 hit highs” provides a chart to show just how the unemployment separates due to age groups:
Age 16 to 19......21.5 %
Age 20 to 24......9.3 %
Age 25 to 34.....10.4 %
Age 35 to 44......7.7 %
Age 45 to 54......8.1 %
Age 55 and up....7.3 %

While it is no surprise that the teenage years are unemployed, either because they have no need of a job or they may be drop outs, the next highest percentage of unemployed people fall in the categories of ages 20-24 and 25-34. Even though these are the age groups that are earning degrees or already have them, they are of the highest unemployed.
This does not make my future seem very bright. Not to mention the fact that my degree is that of English and Communication Arts, not one that is exactly of high demand. So I have come to the conclusion that I may never end up in the job that I set out for, that my dream job may never happen no matter the degree that I may have. In this economy, I am lucky to have a job to begin with.
I am not the only one that have come to this conclusion, many others that I know personally have recently graduated college just last year. A business degree is not getting them very far. You want to know where they are currently employed with their business degree? Their job is in a cubicle following tracking preparations for metal orders. Things are not exactly going according to plan.
I have never been a fan of school, so if I ever do go back to get more experience in a certain area it will be night classes or online. But as of right now, I have no problem with the fact that I may work at my current job for the rest of my life.
I could be far worse off.

No comments:

Post a Comment