Sunday, December 12, 2010

Shhhh....it's 24-hour quiet hours! Or..not.

Twas the week before finals and all through the dorms not a creature was stirring...not even a... Wait. It's right before finals and it's 24-hour quiet hours and is it quiet? Nope!

While the 24-hour quiet hour rule requires residents and guests to stay quiet and keep the noise in their rooms so it does not disturb residents, it's often not followed. Many times, those who do not follow the rule work at the desk downstairs. In my dorm, even the quiet hours after 10 or 11 p.m. are not followed. The desk attendants are hanging out, loudly yelling to residents and friends in the lounge. One desk attendant sings loudly at the desk, alone, prior to 8 a.m.

In other, larger dorms, many of my friends have complained younger students are running through the halls, yelling and screaming.

C'mon people, really? We're all adults here - can't we act like it? While I think 24-hour quiet hours can be kind of ridiculous before finals actually start, I appreciate the fact that I can get some studying done. However, the rules are written for us, yet it's res life staff who often doesn't abide by the rules, yet they'd be the first to write you up if you were a bit loud.

I don't like the double standard or the rudeness of my peers. Just be considerate!

2 comments:

  1. I completely see where you're coming from on this subject. Every year, no matter which building I've lived in on campus, I always have loud neighbors. And ti seems that the closer it gets to finals week, the louder they all get. While I've never had a personal problem with desk attendants, I have noticed how loud they can be when I enter or leave the building. The rules are in place for a reason - whatever reason that may be - but they're there. We should all respect them. (This includes library patrons as well!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is disappointing to hear that the campus does not reinforce the rules of quiet hours, I would take it up with the Dean. Dorms are expensive and if people want to be loud, they should go to a loud place. The sad reality is that the same thing happens in the library, you are in different areas, and people are not even whispering. Let's hope you don't have to deal with the door issue and can afford living in an apartment, or in a quiet community.

    ReplyDelete