Sunday, December 12, 2010

Old Aged Drivers

Does anyone believe there should be a drivers license test for those people who are over the age of 70? It is scary to think that some older drivers are allowed to drive when in reality they should not be able to. My neighbors are a perfect example. My neighbors are the nicest couple you will ever meet. Margaret is 76 years old and has been in many accidents over the past year. She can barely see over the steering wheel when she is driving. I’d do anything for her but I believe she should be required to take a driver’s test to make sure she can see and do all the proper things a license driver should be able to perform while driving.

This summer I was in a car accident with my best friend because of an old aged driver. We were driving about 30 miles per hour on a main road coming back from the gym and a lady pulled out onto the road right in front of us. My friends was able to turn the wheel so we did not hit her head on but our car clipped her front end which sent my friend and I spinning off the road into a ditch. Luckily my friend and I and the old lady did not suffer life threatening injuries but the old lady had to go to the hospital. The scene is the accident was scary to look at and made my friend and I upset to watch the old lady be taken out of the car by EMTS and onto a stretcher and rushed to the hospital. Even though it was not our fault, my friend and I felt terrible. The old lady ended up coming out and telling us that she was sorry and she did not see us coming. The accident could have been a lot worse than it had been or could have been avoided if she saw us.

I do not hate on older drivers, but to keep everyone safe, I would like to see Massachusetts implement a law to test older drivers to ensure safety on our roads. This test should require older drivers to Parallel Park, 3 point turn and be able to back up in a straight line. The test should be a similar test to the driver’s test teenagers take when they go to get their license for the first time. There are too many accidents happening among older drivers and I believe a test should be implemented for everyone’s safety. I would hate to hear if an old aged driver died because he or she could not see an oncoming car. A driving test for old aged drivers would benefit everyone.

5 comments:

  1. Didn't someone already write a blog entry on this topic?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A road test should also be required because it is biology that as we age our reaction time slows down, and our sense dull. Hearing and seeing are two of the most important aspects to driving, and if they are not working to their best potential, a driving test should really be considered. Elderly should not take offense to this, it is a change in with EVERYBODYS (including them) best interest in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree too, that a road test should be required for the elderly. My Grandfather doesn't drive very far from his home, but often times we follow him home from dinner just to make sure he arrived home safely. Unfortunately lately his eye sight has been so bad that he turns into people driveways, thinking they are roads, or even worse misses a stop sign at this one intersection. Elderly people 100% should be retested when they reach a certain age. They are just, if not more, dangerous than beginner drivers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I personally believe that once a person hits a certain age - maybe 65 - that he or she should have to take a road test every year or two, just to ensure the safety of everyone. I wish there was a way to get this implemented. Maybe if there was enough evidence compiled for it, taking the issue to someone of authority would be a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post is a bit biased in my opinion. Where are the facts and official data stating senior citizens are causing more accidents. I commute to Boston everyday and from my experience, many accidents are caused by aggressive moves, lack of attention, high speed, cell phone or text use. According to insurance companies, insurance rates lower after the age of 25 or 26, meaning that you are seen as a low risk driver.

    Do I personally feel the elderly should be required to take a road test? Only when the system begins to implement tough laws on other reckless drivers. Then it is fair game for all drivers.
    P.S.
    Hope your neighbor stays home during snow storms.

    ReplyDelete