Sunday, December 12, 2010

Health Services blunder

When FSU’s Health Services get vaccines of any kind in, they always send out an e-mail to students alerting them of this. About a month or so ago, they let students know they had the flu vaccine in. The next afternoon, I went in to ask when I could receive the vaccine and they told me they didn’t actually have the vaccine and wouldn’t have it for a few days. Then why would you send out an e-mail saying you had it?

Alerting students of false information is what I would call a huge mistake. My schedule isn’t all that flexible. I went in when I was able to find the time and didn’t know when I would be able to find the time again. And I didn’t. With classes, homework, and extracurricular responsibilities, I could barely find time to sleep, never mind find time to go to Health Services and get the flu vaccine.

Before I knew it, I ended up getting the flu. Had Health Services actually been in possession of the vaccine when they said they were, I might not have gotten sick and fallen behind in school. The fact that they sent out an e-mail to students with false information should never have happened. I’m sure I wasn’t the only one who went in that day asking for the flu vaccine and didn’t end up getting it. Hopefully I was the only one unlucky enough to get the flu.

Ironic, isn’t it? It’s ironic and unfortunate. And it could have been prevented. These e-mails should be better planned so as to not misinform students whose schedules aren’t easily adjusted.

1 comment:

  1. It is disappointing that the clinic sends false alarm emails. The flu vaccine changes every year due to the three strains picked by scientists. Each year they examine the strains that caused the most damage the year before. This means if you are exposed to a different type of virus strain, you will get the flu.

    ReplyDelete